Friday, September 19, 2008

2 Steps Back

Natalie Dylan to sell virginity to pay for school:



This past week, a story came out about a San Diego college student who is willing to sell her virginity to help pay for her education. Natalie received a Bachelor degree in Women's Studies and wants to pursue a Master's Degree in Marriage and Family Counseling. This story is just sad in so many ways. Not only are feminist upset about this, but anyone with a shred of morality should be as well. Here's what Natalie had to say:


"I don’t think auctioning my virginity will solve all my problems, but it will create some financial stability"



"I’m not just looking for the highest bidder,” says Dylan. “I’m looking for someone who is a genuine, overall nice person.”



There are several things that are troubling about this story.



1. Our view of sex- As a Christian, I believe that God created sex as a gift between a husband and wife. It is something sacred...something to cherish and protect. This story is just another illustration of how sex is a commodity-something to be bought, sold, traded, or exchanged. Our society has cheapened sex to the point that we'll offer it to the highest bidder if it achieves our goal.



2. Empowerment- In an interview with Natlie, she discussed her decision and said that she has found the whole process of offering her virginity as "empowering." I understand that a person deciding how/when to have sex can be empowering...but real empowerment would be saving this sacred act for someone you have committed your life to rather than to someone who bought you for enjoyment like you'd by a pizza or new car. We need to consider "what is real empowerment?"

3. Our View of Ourselves: This is similar to our view of sex, but God has created each of us unique and in the image of God. We have more value and worth than something to be bought or sold. I think many secularist believe that Christianity denies our humanity and our natural sexual drive by seeking purity and monogamy within the boundaries of marraige. Yet I believe that we raise our view of human value when we cherish and protect what is beautiful in life rather than to offer it to the highest bidder, or to offer it to feel accepted, loved, etc.

I have so many more thoughts running around in my head about this story. It may need another post. In my heart, I pray that Natalie will cherish her virginity (that she has apparently protected for 22 years), and wait to share it with someone who has made a lifelong commitment to her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Isn't this illegal?

Steve and Andrea LaMotte said...

Amazingly enough, in the great state of Nevada, this is legal as long as it runs through a brothel. Evidently, her sister already works at this brothel paying for school.