Monday, October 10, 2011

First Thoughts From Catalyst

I had the opportunity to attend the Catalyst Conference in Atlanta, GA last week.  Catalyst is a leadership conference that draws in 13,000 leaders from the church and the marketplace from around the world.  This was my first Catalyst experience and it's easy to say that it won't be my last.

The theme of the two days was Be Present.  This is such an important theme because many times I find myself thinking ahead or worrying about something that happened in the past rather than being completely present in the moment.  This was an important reminder for me.  More important than my ministry is how I am "being present" with my family.  I am a thinker and a dreamer- so that means that my brain is running long after (or before) I leave the church office.  Being present means that I need to engage my wife and my two daughters relationally.  I need to stop, pause, and breathe slow when it comes to my family.  I need to not rush my daughter through their childhood- but savor every moment.

So here is to lingering, to taking things slow, using crock pots instead of microwaves, listening twice as much as I speak, engaging and asking questions, more date nights to just sit and talk- or to just look each other in the eye.  Here is to nurturing these important relationships and pass on the presence of Jesus the Messiah to my girls and be the Godly father and husband that they need and that I am called and committed to be.

No comments: