Thursday, September 15, 2011

Check Yes or No



Do you remember when you were in love and you’d get a love note from your boyfriend or girlfriend.  I can remember when this would be the highlight of the day- and especially as a middle school boy, the love note was far preferable to actually talking to someone- especially on the phone.  My family still had a corded phone when I was in middle school- one with a 25 foot cord.  When a girl would call I would take the phone from our downstairs living room and stretch it up to my upstairs bedroom so my parents or sister wouldn't hear any details of puppy love.  

The only problem with the note was how it was folded.  My experience in middle school and high school with notes was that it was like solving a Rubik’s Cube trying to open the letter up.  The most creative I could get was a paper airplane while they are sending me an origami goose or a ninja star (if I was lucky!).  While I looked forward to the words inside the note, I also anticipated how the note was folded. (A bunch of crafty people!) 

When you'd first get a note from someone you like- or send one...they would always end with these words:  Do you like me? Check yes or no.  

A love note requires a response.
This Sunday, we're beginning a sermon series called "Crazy Love" based of the book by the same name, and written by Francis Chan.   This Sunday, we'll be talking about one of God's love notes to you and to me: Creation.  In Creation God reveals a crazy, relentless, unconditional, and everlasting love.  Over the next several weeks, we'll be talking about that all important response as we seek to grasp God's love for us and how we can live in that love everyday.

What's the best love note you've received?  What's the best "folding" you can do for a note?  What is your favorite love letter from God?

If you're in the Dover, Delaware area, check us out at www.hopedover.com.  We worship at 9:30 a.m. in the Wesley College Chapel at the corner of Division and Bradford St.  Can't attend- listen to the sermon online!

No comments: