Saturday, August 15, 2009

Book Review: Finding an Unseen God

So I signed up to be a Viral Blogger for The Ooze. It's a cool deal where every month you have the opportunity to sign up for a book, they send it to you (free) and in return you write a book review. This is my first opportunity to do so with the book I received.

I read Finding an Unseen God by Alicia Britt Chole on my way out to Denver for a week away. The short book (160 pages, I believe) was perfect for the flight. The book is Chole reflections on moving from Atheism to becoming a Christian. Chole's writing was relaxed and certainly her goal was to tell her story rather than convince other atheist that they too should become Christians. It is the narrative of Chole's life and experiences that catch your attention.

The most interesting thing about this book from me was not what I read, but the conversations that it opened up. I read the book during a four hour flight to Denver where I was seated next to a recent graduate of the Univseristy of Colorado who was a self-professed "Intellectual" and "Agnostic." While I read on a plane, as a pastor I have created my own policy of attempting not to listen to headphones in order to be free for conversations. Why? Because I have had the most fascinating experiences talking with the people around me.

This was no different. While he admitted to being skeptical of Christianity, certain events in his life had led him to believe that everything happens for a purpose. After reading the back cover of the book, he thought a book like this could help with his own spiritual journey. So I gave him the book. To my mild suprise, he accepted it. (Which is why this is light on substance!) At the end of the jetway as we exited the plane, we shook hands and we went our seperate ways. I prayed that Chole's book might help him to find God through Jesus as well.

No comments: