Thursday, December 04, 2008

Screaming Bloody Murder

I've not blogged in awhile because I am finishing up my seminary work for the semester. I've finished one 16 page paper, one 6 page paper, and have to write a 10-12 page paper while studying for a test. But I thought I would mention something that will be on T.V. tonight.

December marks the 60th anniversary of the United Nation's Genocide Convention which was a reaction to the Holocaust. The countries that comprise the U.N. vowed that they would not allow something like the Holocaust to happen again. The problem is, it has and is happening. In the 1970's there was Cambodia; in the 1980's Iraq was in a state of ethnic cleansing; in the 1990's was Rwanda and Bosnia; and today we are aware of the horror in Darfur. (The article on cnn.com does not mention what is happening in Congo, which is also genocide.) Genocide continues to affect countless people while the leaders of the U.N. do little to stop it.

Tonight at 9 p.m., CNN is airing Screaming Bloody Murder, about the killing fields around the world and the people who tried to stop them. I believe that this is an issue that the church needs to be more proactive on. It has been exciting to see the Church get more involved in the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Africa, but we can do more. I beleive that we are to be a voice for those without a voice. Will you speak up?

No comments: