Monday, August 18, 2008

Monday Morning Update

the weekend that was: The weekend went by pretty quick, but it was a good one. On Friday, we took 8 young adults camping and whitewater rafting. It was a blast to be together. The rapids weren't as big as I had hoped, but it was still great to spend that much time together outdoors. On Sunday, I spent 13 consecutive hours at church. After 3 worship services, we had an Eagle Scout ceremony for one of our students, a surprise birthday party for another, and youth pastor interview. Then we met with our college students until 12:30 a.m. Essentially, I worked a 17 hour day on Sunday.

Church Review: Several thoughts about worship. First, I preached yesterday. I was happy with the sermon content...it was on the life of Joseph and how he extended mercy to his brothers/family when they came seeking help during the famine, and how as Christians we are to extend mercy to those around us. I had some positive feedback....not in the "nice sermon" way, but that some people were challenged by the message to strive to show mercy in their family or work situations.

Also, Erin and Becky picked out the music and Rock n Roll church returned. It is hard to believe that they are leaving for college. They have been apart of the worship gathering for 5 years and have each volunteered over 1000 hours during that time. It will be a big hole to fill.

where i am at the moment: I am home in my pj's, really needing to get ready for work.

On to-do list this week: This week is my study week, which means I will be at various locales working on getting through my list of books I wanted to finish this summer. I will also be doing sermon planning for the entire fall. Also on my list is prep our fellowship hall for the launch of our new worship service on Sunday.

What Abbie is up to: Abbie really missed her mommy and daddy while we were rafting. I still think she is teething. She is honestly never cranky (if she has slept well, which she almost always does.), and she has been cranky this weekend. Again, no physical evidence, but I think they are in the works.

book i’m in the midst of: I have not made much progress on the two I mentioned last week. They were Suprised By Hope by N.T. Wright, and Reasons to Believe by John Marks.

music that seemed to catch my attention this past week: I have not listened to much music this week. I have listened to Delirious' Kingdom of Comfort CD. I feel perpetually let down by Delirious. I saw them in concert at Ichthus several years ago, and it ranks as one of the most moving shows I have ever seen. They have the talent and the ability to be an amazing rock band...yet, to me, they seem to stop short of doing that. I wasn't overly impressed with the new release.

how i’m feeling about this week: relieved that last week is over.

No comments: