Friday, February 15, 2008

CD/Artist That Impacted My Life (Pt.1)



So I was going through my iTunes collections and searching the store for some music from the past when I thought it would be fun to do a series of post on CD's and Artist that impacted my life and my faith. Like many, music has influenced me in a great way. When I was a teenager and struggling to find my way, music (especially Christian music) helped me stay the course. Now, some of the CD's and Artist listed wouldn't are pretty cheesy sounding now (most Christian music was) but this will be a fun exercise.








Petra- Beyond Belief
I think most Christian kids into music in the 80's and 90's listened to Petra. Beyond Belief was, perhaps, my first cassettes that I owned. (That's right cassettes) This particular album was also one of my favorites. Beyond Belief and Unseen Power was Petra at it's best. I thought the band line-up was the best too. They tried to go too young in the mid-90's and held on way too long as a band.
I saw Petra in concert once. I believe I was in 7th or 8th grade and our youth group went to the Star Lake Ampitheater outside of Pittsburgh. I have no clue who opened up for Petra, there were several bands. But Petra just rocked. I played piano at the time and keyboardist John Lawry has his keyboard programmed to 'sing' Jesus Loves Me...it was pretty cool at the time. I also remember head banging (oh, how I wished to have long hair) and that my neck was so sore on the ride home that I could barely hold it up on my own. Good times.
Petra had a long, long career and a great ministry (I believe they saw their music as a minsitry). So today, I salute Petra as a cornerstone of my youth!















No comments: