Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sunday Morning Recap

It is cold outside this morning! It's still cold outside. That often affects the turnout at church, but overall, it wasn't a bad morning. The 9:30 service was packed in tight. Here's a brief recap.

Music: I had no voice today. So the team basically led and I played guitar. We didn't have our soundman, who is preparing for another surgery. All things considered, I thought it went well. Our closing worship was a time of response. The band did a great job of leading into God's presence.

Sermon: I thought my sermon was a good balance of biblical passages and illustrations to open up the passages. I preached on slavery to sin and how Christ provides us a way out of slavery to sin. I probably could've done a little more with the end of the sermon. I rushed at the 11:00 service because my voice was quickly leaving me.

Response: As stated above, we had a good response time following the service. It was an opportunity to lay our sins down at the feet of Christ and experience freedom from the power of sin.
----------------------------------------
As I write, the Chargers are up on the Patriots, but the Pats are picking up steam. Tonight is Fusion's last night as a joint effort of middle school and high school students. Next week, we will split the groups. It exciting to be ready to split, but kinda scary at the same time. This could be a case of having to plough through in order to do what is best for the group.
-----------------------------------------
I've been thinking of a name for our 20's-30's ministry. I think what I've settled on is Emerge (or eMERGE). It gives the right perspective of emerging from high school and entering the next stages of life, relationships, and faith. I'll probably create some sort of vision statement along these lines and begin looking for someone to craft a logo for the ministry. We will launch it in May/June as the college students return home for the long summer break.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your naming idea of eMERGE, it sounds especially accurate for the 20's but do you think it fits the 30's as well? It seems many churches lump the 20's and 30's together; I think the life experiences, frame of mind, and even spiritual walk may be drasticly different at age 22 compared to 38. Any thoughts?

Steve and Andrea LaMotte said...

The eMerge idea probably works best for those in their 20's. The 18-30 is probably going to account for 80% of our focus initially. Out of that will come another ministry paradigm that will be more in touch with those heading into and in their 30's with marriages, careers, kids, etc. It is certainly a work in process...but I think it's a good starting point.