Thursday, January 10, 2008

Ministry Long Haul...

I've been wrestling over the last several weeks on where I believe that God is calling me to minister. A year and a half ago, I started seminary and was appointed in the Methodist Church in the Elder track. I want to do seminary...so I am sure I am in the right place there. What I am unsure about is being in the Elder track. That means that the Bishop in my conference can call me to a church to be a pastor. Now, I believe I have the abilities and gifts to lead a church...the question is where does my passion lie...and where is God calling me?

A few weeks ago, I received a call from a church in Texas as they were looking for a youth pastor. My name was given by a friend as someone they believed would be a good fit there. The job description was remarkable. A ton of potential. Warm weather in the winter! The biggest problem was moving away from our family (especially with Abbie).

This got me thinking about what I want to do. While I like the general church ministry...I think, more and more, that I am more geared to the specialized ministry of youth ministry, or young adult ministry, or worship pastor. What this means, right now...I don't know. But it is something I'm going to be wrestling with for awhile. I meet with DCOM (District Committee on Ministry) next month. This question may come up while I am there. We'll have to see how forthcoming I am. So if you're reading this, I would invite you to keep me in your prayers.

No comments: