Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Catching Up and Some Thoughts on BP

I've wanted to post for awhile, but I really haven't found the motivation to lately.  First, our life has been crazy busy...and it won't really let up until about mid-august.  I will only be home one week in July!  Second, the transition out of Avenue and into Hope is starting to be emotionally draining.  I'm pretty pumped about the opportunity to meet and serve the wonderful people at Hope, but Avenue has been home for nine years and I think that is just hitting me today.  I was working on the details for my final sermon at Avenue on June 20th.  It's always a privilege to preach...even more so to share one last time to my friends at Avenue.

I honestly haven't had a whole lot of time to keep up with the news, but the more I see and read about BP and this oil spill in the gulf, the more angry I get.  How irresponsible can a company be?  How slow can the appropriate people take to respond?  How much wildlife will have to die because of this disaster?  I got to be honeset, I haven't felt like there has been much of a response by our government either. 

It's taken me awhile to come around on this, but I think that off-shore drilling should be stopped.  What good comes out of it?  By stopping, we can reduce our environmental impact in the oceans.  Stopping would also force us to find other ways to become less dependant on oil.  There has got to be some ingenuity out there that can develop a car or system that can lessen our dependency on oil.

Just rambling today.  Hopefully I'll be back to some regular post in the near future.  This weekend is the Peninsula-Delaware Conference's Annual Conference...so maybe that will give me something to write about!

No comments: