Sunday, November 22, 2009

More

I was reading Ephesians 3:14-21 as part of my morning devotion time this weekend.  In the passage, Paul is lifting up a prayer for fellow believers- especially the church at Ephesus that they might comprehend how high, deep, and wide the love of God is.  In love, God desires to do infinately more that we could ever imagine in our lives, through the presence of the Holy Spirit at work in us.

How easy it is for me to forget this.  It is easy to go through my day on autopilot and not consider how immense God's love is for us.  I am guilty of going through my day and taking for granted the opportunities and encounters that God puts in my path.  I can miss opportunities to recognize how God wants to do even more in my life.  God wants to work more in my life, my family and in the ministry that God has entrusted me with.  I must not allow sin or anything else keep me from experiencing this love of God that desires to do more.

We're often taught to be content in our circumstances, not to be greedy, to be happy with what we have.  But I think when it comes to God's love- we should want and desire more each day.  When it comes to God's presence and power through the Holy Spirit- we should want more.  My daughter, Abbie, before she could really verbalize it, learned the sign for the word "more."  When she wants some more dinner, drink, kisses, and tickling- she signs and asks for more.  Like Abbie, as Christians we need to ask God for more.  We must put ourselves in a place to receive more from God.

Recently, I have had to look at my own spiritual life and realize that I am often a hindrance to the "more" that God desires to do in me.  As I begin to make some changes, I pray to know God even more; to experience God's Spirit in my life even more; to see the power of God manifested in ministry even more.

"Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever.  Amen."

Ephesians 3:20-21 (ESV)
 

No comments: