Friday, June 26, 2009

Back From Guatemala: Pt. 2

In typical LaMotte fashion, it's been a crazy two weeks since returning from Guatemala. When I got home, we immediately remodeled our kitchen (our cabinets were ordered before I left), Abbie celebrated her 2nd birthday; Vacation Bible School began. Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson all died. And Jon and Kate are getting a divorce. What a week. Somewhere in the midst of the last two weeks, I've tried to further process the Guatemala trip and what it meant for me.

The one thing that I keep going back to is passion and purpose. It was evident at the school that we worked at that the head administrator, Wally, had a vision or saw a purpose for the school. He believed that God was going to use the school to raise up a generation of believers who would make a spiritual impact on the nation of Guatemala. That purpose/vision became his passion. I said in an earlier post that Wally's passion wasn't an overflowing, energetic, get up and jump up and down passion. It was a consistent burning passion. We could see it in the way in which Wally loved on the students and the staff. The way that he cared for parents who came to him to seek advice and wise counsel. His passion and purpose were united.

Back home in the states, I often feel like I am trying to bring my passion and purpose in line. When I was doing youth ministry at the church, I think they were in line and united. Since stepping out of youth ministry, I have struggled to find where I can really serve with passion and vision. The trip to Guatemala was a reminder to me that I need to pursue God's purpose/vision for my life and ministry with passion and enthusiasm. How that works in my current context? I'm not sure since it's been a difficult fit for the last two years. But I know that God is in control and has a great plan.

No comments: