Monday, November 17, 2008

Your Turn: Sermon Prep...

I am preaching Sunday and finishing my series on worship. I am going to be preaching on how giving thanks to God is an act of Worship. I have some ideas floating around in my head...but I want to know from you is...

  1. Do you think we're a thankful people? Especially in the Church?
  2. What does giving thanks really look like? What impact could an attitude of gratitude have in our communities?

Just two or three questions. If you have comments, I'd love to hear/read them. They help in the thinking process. Many blessings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think we are naturally thankful people. I think we are naturally whiny and selfish, especially when it comes to church. We want things to be done our way. We want our desires and needs met. We feel entitled to many of the luxuries we so often take for granted. We are in love with our opinions and don't always appreciate when they are challenged or questioned.

I think giving thanks starts with confessing our selfishness and how bad we are at giving thanks for the many blessings we have been freely given. I think it involves us allowing God to completely strip us of our inflated American egos so that His love can be spread to the family, friends and complete strangers we encounter during this time of collective reflection and thanksgiving.