Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Are You Great? Or Just Good?

Recently, the Mission Team went to Camp Pecometh for a day on the Ropes Course. During the time, we were working on one of the exercises that they had us do. A few of us (myself included) broke the rules and kept on going. The instructor gathered us around and challenged us with this: We could have broken the rules and finished the challenge. It would have been good to finish it, but it wouldn’t be great.
In our Christian walk, we often (I often) settle for good instead of great. We settle for being a good Christian instead of striving to be like Christ (who was perfect, by the way!). I know that in my own life, I have sometimes settled for good in my prayer life, in my devotions, in the way I treat others, or in the way I talk. God wants me to be great at those things. He wants me to not settle for second best, and strive to be the person He intends me to be.
As Christians, We may settle for good instead of great. We may settle for sleeping in and missing church instead of joining in worship. We may have settled for going to a party and drinking when God has called us to be above reproach. We settle for having a physical relationship outsite of marraige when God has called us to be pure. Here is the deal, God is calling you (that’s right, you!) and me to greatness. In the way we live. In the way we talk. He doesn’t want “good little Christian girls and boys.” God desires great disciples who give Him their lives.
Being great is hard. But we can do it through Jesus Christ. Philippians 4:13 says: “I can do all things through Him (Jesus) who gives me strength.” Strive for greatness!

No comments: