Tuesday, March 15, 2005

What's My Response

Easter is just around the corner. I am designing and preaching at our Good Friday service on Good Friday (who would have thought!). In the account of Christ death (In this case, in Luke), those who encountered the Cross of Christ had a response. Some were positive, some not so. The two criminals who were crucified on either side of Jesus had different responses. One cursed while the other cried out to Jesus. The Roman Centurian, who may have taken part in the brutality that Jesus faced, exclaimed "Surely this is the Son of God," when Jesus gave up his spirit. The crowd, who was jeering and abusing Jesus, when the earth trembled at his death, suddenly become filled with grief for what they had done.

The Cross is a polarizing symbol. For some it represents the salvation that comes through Christ death and resurrection. To others, it represents the brutality in the name of God during the Crusades, Inquisition, and so on. To some, it is just a nice piece of Jewelry. Regardless of the view, the Cross of Christ elicits a response.

That got me thinking, "what is my response?" I am a Christian who strives to live out my faith in a real and relevant manner. I desire to have a deep and intimate relationship with God, yet sometimes my response to the Cross isn't what I know pleases God. I take it for granted that God's Son took my place on the Cross. I take for granted that my sin drives the nails into the hands of Jesus. My prayer this Easter, is to live my life in response to what Christ did for me on the Cross...and that you would too!

No comments: